HomeOur ChurchMalankara Orthodox Syrian ChurchCatholicos and Malankara Metropolitan
Catholicos and Malankara Metropolitan
Baselios Mar Thoma Paulose II (Malayalam: ബസേലിയോസ് മാർത്തോമ പൗലോസ് ദ്വിതീയൻ) is the Supreme Head of the Malankara (Indian) Orthodox Syrian Church. He is the Malankara Metropolitan and the 91st Catholicos of the East. He succeeded Baselios Thoma Didymos I and was enthroned as Catholicos and Malankara Metropolitan on 1 November 2010 at Parumala, Kerala.
Baselios Mar Thoma Paulose II was born on 30 August 1946 into the ancient Syrian Christian family of Kollannur to K. I. Ipe and Kunjeetty at Mangad in Kunnamkulam. His mother, Kunjeetty hails from the famous family of Pulikkottil and he was baptized at St Mary’s Orthodox Church Pazhanji. He completed his schooling in the Kunnamkulam region and holds a Bachelor in Science degree (Physics) from the ST. Thomas College.
His spiritual nurturing began from a very early age under the guidance of his uncle Iyyukutty and was also an active member of the Mar Gregorios Orthodox Christian Student Movement (MGOCSM). He enrolled for theological education at the Kottayam Orthodox Theological Seminary in 1969 under the guidance of the LL Dr. Paulose Mar Gregorios, Fr. Abraham Malpan and Fr. Koruthu Malapan. After completing the Graduate in Sacred Theology (GST) and Bachelor in Divinity (BD) degrees, he also pursued an MA in Sociology from the CMS College at Kottayam.
· Ordained as Yaupadiakno in 1972 at Parumala Seminary.
· Ordained as Mshamshono (Full Deacon) later Koratty Zion Seminary.
· Ordained as Kashisho (Priest) in June 1973.
· Professed as Ramban on *****.
· Consecrated as Bishop Paulose Mar Milithios in May 1985 at the age of 38 and was entrusted as Metropolitan of the then newly formed Kunnamkulam Diocese
· Nominated by the Holy Synod as Catholicos Designate in September 2006
· Enthroned as Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan in November 2010 at St. Peter's and St. Paul's Church, Parumala succeeding Baselius Mar Thoma Didymus I who abdicated office at the age of 90 due to health concerns.
It is His Holiness' keen interest that the Church should have effective and meaningful Inter-Church relations. It is with this emphasis that His Holiness has journeyed and met with the heads of all Oriental Orthodox Churches as well as other Eastern Orthodox Churches, Roman Catholic Church and other Protestant Churches, thus enhancing bilateral and Inter-Church relationships. His Holiness' unassuming character and his philanthropic interests, have given new dimensions to the life of the Church. He has authored a few devotional and contemplative books in Malayalam.
H.H. Baselios Marthoma Paulose II,
Devalokam P.O, Kottayam
Tel: +91 481 2578499 / +91 481 2578500